TERESA PELKA, M.A.
I am a practiced and efficient linguist with more than 5 years of translating experience, specialized in language psychology, a field of study of direct relevance to translation. I have translated from English to Polish and from Polish to English. My native tongue is Polish; I have lived in English speaking countries since 2004.
M.A., American English
Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Poland
Graduation year: 2000
Specialization: psycholinguistics, i.e. language psychology
Master’s thesis: The role of feedback in language processing, graded Polish 4, second highest, written and spoken.
Course of study involving (among others): history of England, history of USA, history of American and British literature, literary theory, applied linguistics, descriptive grammar, contrastive grammar, American phonetics, creative writing, translation, language teaching, philosophy, psychoarcheology, language psychology, introduction to European studies, Latin, German.
SKILLS AND TOOLS
- text translation, English to Polish and Polish to English; areas: medical, life sciences, healthcare, psychology, philosophy, legal, literary
- text editing and proofreading in Polish and English
- tools: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, WordFast, Alchemy Catalyst
- 2009-2011 Freelance translator working on own language projects – among others, the TransPerfect translation agency.
- 2000-2003 Contract project translator for the LektorKlett publishing house.
‘Ms Teresa Pelka worked for LektorKlett Publishing House from 2000 to 2003. She participated in various publishing projects as a translator from English into Polish and from Polish into English.
LektorKlett is a daughter company of Ernst Klett Verlag, the leading German educational publishing house. Our publications focus mainly on Foreign Language Teaching and include self-study materials, reference (bilingual dictionaries) as well as language courses for schools.
As the Managing Editor at LektorKlett I supervised Ms Pelka’s work and I may confirm that it was always done on time and to high standards.’
References may be provided upon request.
- 1992-2004 Teacher of English; 2003-2004: Teacher Training College and High School teacher of English.
SAMPLE LANGUAGE WORK